Egypt: 'mass graves found in dispersed sit-ins'

Ambassador to Rome says corpses found bearing signs of torture

16 August, 20:13

    (ANSAmed) - ROME, AUGUST 16 - Egyptian authorities were forced to clear the squares occupied by those calling for the reinstatement of ousted president Morsi, ''especially after arsenals of weapons and mass graves containing the bodies of people dead for weeks and bearing signs of torture were found in the immense camps,'' ANSAmed was told by Egyptian ambassador to Rome, Amr Helmy.

    Images of mass graves and corpses found in the Cairo camps of Morsi supporters have gone viral online, as has evidence of torture attributed to the Muslim Brotherhood. A video showing the mass graves is found on the site of the television station El Balad (http://www.el-balad.com/585622#.Ug378-Dg42k). After 20 corpses were found in an advanced state of decomposition - thus dating back to before the clearing out of the square by security forces the day before yesterday, explained activist Dalia Ziada - the police ordered that the area in front of the Rabaa mosque be dug up, where they discovered mass graves containing dozens of corpses. On her Facebook page, the activist comments on a video of a charred corpse whose fingers had been cut off found in the same mosque (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaE7Wl5rsIM).

    According to an investigation conducted by the Ibn Khaldoun Center, which Ziada is the executive director of, prior to the dispersal evidence had surfaced of 44 cases of torture committed against those opposing a reinstatement of Morsi in the sit-ins of the ousted president's supporters. (ANSAmed).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean