Al-Qaeda cell planning US embassy attack dismantled in Egypt

Plotting attack on French diplomatic offices as well

11 March, 19:07

    (ANSAmed) - CAIRO, MARCH 11 - An Al-Qaeda cell that had planned but not executed attacks on US and French embassies in Egypt has been dismantled, reported the country's general prosecutor's office on Tuesday. The office added that four people - three of whom arrested - had maps of the Suez region, the northern Nile Delta and the Sinai peninsula, as well as information on the movements of the armed forces. The office did not say when the three had been arrested. A fourth man is being sought by the authorities. Police sources say that one of those arrested had received military training (in an unspecified location, Ed.) and had taken part in operations against the US and Pakistani armies.

    Another had infiltrated into Algeria and then came back to Egypt. The other two had formed a terrorist group that aimed to hit the armed forces, policemen, places of worship, foreign embassies and diplomats. Meanwhile, the general prosecutor in the Nile Delta town of Menoufia has ordered a 15-day extension to police custody of the 35-year-old Muslim Brotherhood member Mohamed Duri Ahmed El-Talyawidi to conduct more in-depth investigations, ANSA was told by sources from the judiciary on Tuesday. The man had been arrested the previous day and stands accused of being behind several attacks in Cairo on January 24. Investigators think he may have ties to Al-Qaeda members.

    Talyawidi said he had become a jihadist after the July 2013 clearing of the sit-in at the Rabaa El-Adaweya mosque in Cairo.

    Dozens died in the operation, which came after the ousting of Muslim Brotherhood president Mohamed Morsi. (ANSAmed)
    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean