Libya: Tripoli, France blocks anti-Haftar statement

Shah, Paris against joint statement condemning blockade

21 January, 14:56

    (ANSAmed) - CAIRO, JANUARY 21 - ''France is blocking a joint statement to be issued by western countries condemning the closure of ports and oil installations'' imposed by General Khalifa Haftar and ''asking for their immediate reopening'', said Ashraf Shah, an important figure who is close to the national-unity government of premier Fayez Al-Sarraj. ''This is the reason why countries will be issuing individual statements that express their position'', the former political advisor to the Libyan High Council of State said on Twitter.

    ''It looks like the supporters of the criminal Haftar are still keeping their positions (also) after the statement of Berlin'', concluded Shah.

    Haftar on Saturday, a day before the conference in Berlin on Libya, ordered the blockade of oil at five ports under his control, causing a fall in exports by 800,000 barrels a day. By closing the oil pipeline Hamada-Zawiya, the general was also able to block the installation of Sharara, the largest in Libya, and of El Feel, also operated by ENI, with an overall limitation of production of about 400,000 barrels a day.

    In a few days, when tanks to stock oil at ports will be full, Libyan production will be limited to 72,000 barrels a day compared to the over 1.2 million of last week, according to estimates by a spokesperson for Noc, the Libyan national oil company, according to the Financial Times. (ANSAmed).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean