Libyan talks to resume in Rabat, ISIS affiliates hit Tripoli

International pressure to reach an accord; embassies damaged

13 April, 19:49

    (by Rodolfo Calò) (ANSAmed) - CAIRO, APRIL 13 - Under heavy pressure from Western powers and amid fresh attacks by the Islamic State (ISIS) on Tripoli embassies, UN-brokered talks for a ceasefire and national unity government will resume this week.

    The talks are set for Wednesday in Morocco but a two-day meeting between Libya political leaders began on Monday in Algiers. A joint statement from the Italian, French, US, German, UK and Spanish foreign ministries welcomed the resumption of dialogue. ''We strongly urge all participants to the dialogue to negotiate in good faith and use this opportunity to finalize agreements on the formation of a National Unity Government and make arrangements for an unconditional ceasefire,'' reads the statement.

    With an implicit reference to Tobruk forces operations west of Tripoli, an appeal was made for ''the immediate cessation of airstrikes and ground offensives'', as ''such provocations undermine the UN talks and threaten chances for reconciliation We reaffirm that those who threaten the peace, stability or security of Libya, or undermine the successful completion of its political transition may be designated by the UN sanctions committee''. ''Further delay in reaching a political agreement only deepens the schisms in Libyan society and emboldens those who seek to profit from the ongoing conflict,'' it said. Those profiting from the rift in Libya between the internationally recognized Tobruk government and the pro-Islamist Tripoli one are human traffickers and Islamic State (ISIS) affiliates, who have taken responsibility for two attacks on embassies that have not housed diplomats for months but which retain a highly symbolic significance. A bomb or an RPG (depending on the source) exploded in front of the gate of the Moroccan embassy early Monday morning.

    Negotiations between the two Libyan factions that started in Geneva in January were moved to Morocco last month. Killing two guards, on Sunday an armed group of men instead shot at the diplomatic offices of South Korea, the home country of UN chief Ban Ki-Moon, who ''firmly'' condemned the attack. In Algeria - the embassy of which was hit by a bomb in January, injuring three - political leaders are meeting for the first time to discuss a draft agreement, said Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) and mediator Bernardino Leon. (ANSAmed).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean