Nearly 2,000 migrants have died in Med in 2017 - IOM

81,292 arrivals, 85% in Italy

20 June, 17:02

    GENEVA - Nearly 2,000 migrants and refugees have died in the Mediterranean Sea since the beginning of 2017, according to figures released in a statement Tuesday by the International Organization for Migration (IOM).
    Since the beginning of the year through June 18, IOM has recorded a total of 81,292 arrivals by sea to Europe (about 85% of which were in Italy) and 1,985 deaths.
    Following the incidents in recent days, the IOM's Missing Migrants Project said "the total deaths this year in the Mediterranean is nearing 2,000 and will have surpassed that level if the news of nine shipwrecks in Libya are confirmed".
    Although the nearly 2,000 deaths are less than those registered in the same period last year (2,911), this is the fourth consecutive year that the number of migrant deaths in the Mediterranean has surpassed 2,000, IOM said.

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean