557 deaths in Mediterranean since start of 2018, IOM

Over 16,800 arrivals, above all in Italy

13 April, 17:09

    GENEVA - There have been 557 migrant deaths at sea in the Mediterranean since the start of 2018, according to data released on Friday in Geneva by the International Organisation for Migration (IOM).
    Between January 1 and April 11, 16,847 migrants have entered Europe by sea, compared to 33,602 during the same period in 2017, with the majority arriving in Italy followed by Spain, Greece, and Cyprus.
    Citing the Italian Interior Ministry, IOM said 6,894 migrants have arrived in Italy by sea so far in 2018, a 74.53% decline on the same period in 2017, when 27,069 migrants had arrived.
    In a recent report, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) highlighted the drastic drop in migrant arrivals to Italy by sea since July 2017, but also how the journey to Italy has become increasingly more dangerous. It said in the first three months of 2018, the death rate for those who leave Libya has risen to one death per every 14 persons, compared to one death per every 29 persons in the same period in 2017.

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean