150 killed in Yemen's Hodeidah, says Save the Children

Loyalist attack on port city, hospital bombed

07 November, 18:11

    ROME - The NGO Save the Children said Wednesday that over 150 people had been killed in the fighting in Yemen's port city Hodeidah and that a health facility that it supports had been hit.

    ''Soldiers allied to the Government of Yemen are now waging a battle within the city area. The lives of hundreds of thousands of people, roughly half of them children, are in danger.

    Artillery shelling is being used heavily by all sides. More than 150 people have been reported killed,'' it said in a statement. ''A Save the Children supported health facility in the Yemeni port city of Hodeidah came under attack this morning, damaging one of the pharmacies that supplies life-saving medicines.

    Shelling has also hit residential areas,'' it added. ''On the night of November 4, the Saudi and Emirati-led Coalition escalated their current military offensive including heavy airstrikes over the coastal city of Hodeidah. Soldiers allied to the Government of Yemen are now waging a battle within the city area. The lives of hundreds of thousands of people, roughly half of them children, are in danger,'' it said. The statement concluded by saying that there ''were temporary road blocks preventing people from leaving or entering the city overnight, in effect trapping them in an active conflict zone.

    Save the Children is deeply concerned for the wellbeing of civilians trapped inside Hodeidah and urges the warring parties to stop the fighting immediately and seek a political solution to this brutal conflict. The UN Security Council must make this a reality.''

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean