Libya: 1,800 children at risk, UNICEF says

Number of displaced in Tripoli rises to 27,000

19 April, 11:51

    (ANSAmed) - ROME, APRIL 19 - An estimated 1,800 children are in urgent need of being evacuated from the frontline in Libya while 7,300 others have already been forced out of their homes due to the ongoing violence, according to a joint statement issued by the director general of UNICEF and the United Nations' Special Representative of the Secretary General on Violence against Children. Overall, some 500,000 children so far have been affected by violence across western Libya.

    Meanwhile the number of displaced people since the start of armed clashes in the area of Tripoli has risen to 27,000, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

    OCHA is providing updates on the situation in and around the capital, noting that the factors driving people to abandon violence-torn areas include fighting, bombings, air raids and the lack of key services such as electricity and running water.

    OCHA said that ''a significant number of civilians were able to leave the areas of Khalat al Furjan/Ain Zara, south-west of Tripoli on April 17, accompanied by local evacuation teams.

    This development was possible thanks to the UN, which provided a safe passage for civilians in war-torn areas. Through this humanitarian corridor, rescuers were also able to provide assistance to people who decided to remain in the affected areas to protect their possessions, OCHA said. (ANSAmed)
    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean