Flights to Tripoli airport suspended after Haftar attacks

Spokesman says no to UN flights to capital

13 February, 16:04

    (ANSAmed) - TUNIS, FEBRUARY 13 - Flights to and from the Mitiga airport, the only one still functioning in the Libyan capital, were suspended Thursday after repeatedly rocket launching by militias answering to General Khalifa Haftar. Libya Observer reported the news on Twitter, noting that a state of panic was being seen among passengers. The news that flights had been suspended was confirmed on the Facebook page of the airport and by the deputy transport minister of the Tripoli-based government, Hisham Abu Shikawat, as reported by Al Ahrar TV. The spokesman for the Libyan National Army (LNA), Ahmed al Mismari, announced Thursday in a press conference that the UN will no longer be allowed to use Mitiga airport. The UN will have to use other airports such as the one in Misurata, Mismari said, since the LNA cannot ensure the safety of flights to and from Mitiga, since Turkey is using it as a base. On Wednesday, the UN expressed ''regret'' over a ban on flights carrying its personnel to and from Libya. A statement noted that the ban had been repeated several times in recent weeks.(ANSAmed).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean