Migrants: dozens detained in Tunisia over illegal departures

Suspects told investigators they wanted to travel to Italy

15 June, 12:24

    (ANSAmed) - TUNIS, JUNE 15 - Tunisian security forces have detained four youths accused of preparing to participate in an illegal crossing during an operation last week to prevent illegal immigration in a home in Hiboun, in the governorate of Mahdia, the Tunisian interior ministry said in a statement. The ministry said that the four, when questioned by police, admitted that they had travelled to the region on June 10 with the aim of illegally departing for Italy after paying 1,000 Tunisian dinars to a person from the area who would put them in touch with those who organized the crossing.

    Prosecutors confirmed the arrests and opened an investigation for the ''formation of an agreement to secretly leave the maritime borders''. In a separate operation, the national guard apprehended on the coast of Jebeniana, in the governorate of Sfax, 25 people who were preparing to board a vessel to illegally travel to Italy. They were all reported to judicial authorities.

    (ANSAmed).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean