Tourism collapses in Malta, down 75.2% in first 11 months

Arrivals down 92.9% in November compared to 2019, due to Covid

14 January, 15:34

    (ANSAmed) - VALLETTA, JANUARY 14 - Tourist arrivals in Malta fell 75.2% in the first 11 months of 2020 compared to the same period in 2019, said the Maltese National Statistics Office (NSO), confirming the devastating impact that coronavirus travel restrictions had on the tourism sector, the second-most important for the archipelago's economy.

    Tourist arrivals went from more than five million in 2019 to just 645,626 in 2020, while overall spending fell 79.2% to nearly 442 million euros, with a 15.8% decrease in per-capita spending.

    The summer reopening partially mitigated the hit, but it also contributed to spreading infections, which in the initial phase had been kept to a minimum due to a total border closure from March 20 to July 15.

    The NSO said that after anti-Covid restrictions were reintroduced, arrivals fell 92.2% in November alone, to just 14,936 people, 2,795 of whom were on business. Of this modest traffic, 24.7% was generated with Italy.

    The total number of overnight stays during the year dropped 82.3% to only 213,868 nights, the majority of which (43.5%) were in non-hotel facilities.

    Total tourist spending in November reached 13.2 million euros, a 90.3% drop compared to November 2019. (ANSA).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean