Conte sends solidarity on 'mad hate' of Hanau massacre

United in fight against extremism says Di Maio

(ANSA) - Rome, February 20 - Premier Giuseppe Conte on Thursday sent a message of solidarity to the German people and the families of the victims of the "insane hatred without any respect for human life" in the "terrible massacre at #Hunau".
    Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio said that Italy and Germany were "united in the fight against extremism".
    A shooter with suspected far-right beliefs killed nine people at a shisha bar and a cafe in the German city, police said Thursday, before apparently killing himself and his mother.
    Federal counter-terror prosecutors announced they were investigating the case, which showed "signs of a xenophobic motive", a spokesman told AFP.
    Among the dead were "several victims of Kurdish origin", the Kon-Med association of Kurds in Germany said in a statement, adding that it was "furious" that authorities were not doing more to combat rightwing extremism.
    BILD said a pregnant woman had been among the victims.
    Alarm has been growing about an increasingly emboldened far-right movement in Germany, following a deadly anti-Semitic attack in Halle and the murder of a pro-migrant politician last year.
   

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © Copyright ANSA