Archaeology: new look for Roman Punic necropolis in Cagliari

Paths among squares and palaces to rediscover Tuvixeddu park

23 September, 17:50

    (ANSAmed) - CAGLIARI, SEPT 23 - The regional secretariat of the Italian Culture Ministry has allocated 800,000 euros to enhance the archaeological area of Tuvixeddu, the largest Roman Punic necropolis in the Mediterranean, located in Cagliari on the island of Sardinia.

    The Punic and Roman tombs there are just steps away from buildings, parking lots and courtyards.

    Sometimes to visit the archaeological site and artifacts it was necessary to ask for authorisation from private individuals and even for keys from apartment building administrators.

    Now, however, with the funding from the culture ministry, squares and paths can be built to make the city's historic artifacts accessible even when passing through or next to buildings.

    In a press conference held in front of the tomb known as "Tomba delle Spighe e dei Pesci", organisers said the first phase of the work involves the excavation, restoration and maintenance of the necropolis for the restoration, where possible, of the original funerary landscape.

    Also planned is the creation of a path for visitors between the Roman tomb of Rubellio, probably a Roman aristocrat, and the tomb "Tomba delle Spighe e dei Pesci", the one closest to the road.

    A protective climate-controlled box entrance to house a multimedia communication system will also be created, said Elena Romoli, representing the superintendency.

    This piece of history had been neglected for decades: it had become a mechanic's office, and up through the 1980s its neighbours were people who illegally used the other tombs as makeshift shelters.

    After that, however, pending funding, the superintendency managed to isolate and wall off the tomb, to allow for future renovation and opening to the public.

    In the area in front, which was for years used as a rubbish dump and then a controversial worksite for the construction of an apartment building (in the span of just a few days the first bricks were laid then removed after the regional government intervened), a small square will be built that could become a sort of entrance door to the Roman Punic necropolis.

    "We would like for it to become a regular place for taking walks, an area for crossing that allows for truly taking advantage of these artifacts," Romoli said.(ANSAmed).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean