Migrants: at least 5 drowned off Libya, including kid - IOM

500 deaths at sea since January, 150 reported in 2020

10 May, 16:17

    CAIRO - "More than 700 migrants were intercepted yesterday off Libya by the Libyan coast guard", IOM spokesperson Safa Msehli tweeted on Monday. "At least five people, among them one child, drowned when their boat capsized.

    While survivors were brought to shore by fishermen", tweeted the representative of the Geneva-based International Organization for Migration (IOM).

    Msehli told ANSA that "we are concerned that an increasing number of people are undertaking this dangerous trip and the loss of human lives is intolerable". "So far, at least 500 people have drowned in the central Mediterranean this year compared to some 150 deaths registered over the same period" in 2020, she told ANSA. "States cannot ignore their responsibility and obligations according to international law. We need more means guided by the State for search and rescue in the Mediterranean", added the spokeswoman.

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean