Salvini cleared in 'migrant-abduction' case

Case regards refusal to allow Coast Guard ship to dock for days

14 May, 12:52

    CATANIA - A preliminary hearings judge in Catania on Friday cleared League leader Matteo Salvini of accusations that he effectively abducted 131 migrants who had been rescued at sea by refusing to allow the Gregoretti.coast guard ship that they were aboard to dock for several days when he was interior minister in July 2019.

    The judge upheld requests from both the defence team and prosecutors to drop the case and not send Salvini to trial.

    The State attorney had said no crime had been committed as Salvini "did not violate any national and international convention" and that his choice to refuse a landing berth was a policy agreed on with the rest of the government of the day.

    Salvini, who was interior minister from June 2018 to September 2019 in ex-premier Giuseppe Conte's first government, has repeatedly said he acted in the national interest.

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved

    Business opportunities

    The information system of business
    opportunities abroad

    News from Mediterranean