Tension and incidents at reporter's Jerusalem funeral

Israeli report claims it is unclear who killed her

13 May, 16:37

    (ANSAmed) - TEL AVIV, MAY 13 - High tension was seen in Jerusalem on Friday during the funeral for the well-known Palestinian-American Al Jazeera reporter Shireen Abu Akleh, who was killed two days ago in Jenin during clashes between Israeli soldiers conducting an operation and Palestinian militants.

    At the exit to the hospital, pushing and shoving ensued when the police stopped those carrying the coffin of the journalist on their shoulders from continuing down the street.

    The coffin almost fell to the ground. Placed on a vehicle, the coffin later reached Jaffa Gate and was taken inside the nearby Greek-Melchite Church, while police stopped Palestinian flags from being waved.

    The Israeli army on Friday published the results of a 'provisional report' on the circumstances that two days ago in Jenin led to the death of the reporter and reiterated that it was still "not possible to establish the origin of the shots that hit her." The report mentions two possibilities. The first is that she was hit by an onslaught of hundreds of bullets shot in an "uncontrolled manner" by Palestinian militants from various angles at Israeli military vehicles transiting through.

    The second is that she was instead hit by a bullet shot by an Israeli soldier from a jeep who had aimed at a "terrorist" that was shooting a volley of fire towards the jeep.

    The report claimed that "there is the possibility that the journalist was near the terrorist. At that time, she was 200 meters from the jeep".

    To ascertain which of the two possibilities actually happened, the Israeli Army said, there would be the need to carry out professional ballistics analysis on the bullet extracted from the body of the journalist".

    So far, however, the Palestinian side has refused and has placed the blame on Israel. (ANSAmed).

    © Copyright ANSA - All rights reserved